The church of Marratxí depended on Santa María del Camí from 1369 until 1636, when the parish church of Sant Marçal was separated.
The church of Sant Marçal began to be built in 1698 by episcopal recommendation. Being the rector of Pere Bennasar, the first stone was placed in 1699 and the construction was completed in 1714 as the inscriptions of the canopy vault cover are indicated.
The work was commissioned to the master Lluc Mesquida, born in Santa Maria and who came from a family of master builders. The church is part of the Baroque style.
Altarpiece, dedicated to Sant Marçal: in the center we find the size of Saint Marçal, dressed as pontifical, which dates, according to Archduke Luís Salvador and Antoni Furió, from the 15th century. This image picks up the legend that says that Sant Marçal was the young man who carried the five breads and two fishes in the multiplication of the gospel, and which have become the coat of arms of Marratxí. The central body completes Sant Joan Baptista and Sant Pere. The iconography of the altarpiece is completed with the Immaculate Conception, of the attic.
Adress: Plaza Pedro de Verí, s / n, Sa Cabaneta.
The demographic growth of the Pont d’Inca made it necessary to enable a provisional oratory in 1889 to “the Balearic Harinera” (current site of the Suau wineries) while there was a place to make a church … On June 22 In 1890, Bishop Cervera placed the first stone of the church, dedicated to San Alonso Rodríguez, Sta. Catalina Tomàs and Beat Ramon Llull. In 1904 the new temple was blessed. The church was the work of the famous architect Gaspar Bennàsar.
The church was built between 1890 and 1909. It is neo-medieval style with Romanesque references. It is formed by two ships. In the main there are six chapels and the one of Sant Jaume, from the fifties and the work of the sculptor Pont Salvare, and the one of the Blood, which has a size of the Crucified Christ from the old oratorio of Sant Llatzet . It is believed that the image came from the old guild of the city’s spaces.
On the facade of the rectory, from the year 1947, there are two sundials with these Latin inscriptions: “tarde venientibus ossa”, “the bones are for those who arrive late”, possibly from the writer Prudenci, and ” only I am in control of you, “” the sun rules me and you obey the shadow “, by the poet Horaci.
The parish is constituted by the church and the rectory, back-to-back in a lateral one and of invoice subsequent to the temple. It also has small bodies attached to the headboard, such as the sacristy. The main façade is organized from three vertical axes, of which the center stands out, where the decoration is concentrated. In this we find the cover, which in the first record presents the allindanat portal, with the lintel decorated with plant motifs and an angel head in the center. A crown in semicircular shape is seen as an eardrum, with very austere decoration of flowers, and on each side even pairs of pilasters with capitals of geometric and floral decoration. In the second record, it has a crown like the first one, decorated with tracery, and two archivolts. On the side façade, the bell tower, with great robustness, stands out, which has the lateral doorway of the church, much more austere, than the main one.
The interior is a single nave with side chapels connected by half-point arches. It has six sections and the apse is atrophied. The central nave and the side naves are covered by a barrel vault with lunettes, where the midpoint windows open. The heart is supported by three lowered arches. The apse presents in the center a size of Sta. Catalina Tomàs, flanked by two paintings, later performed, representing the Martyrdom of the Beat Ramon Llull and San Alonso Rodríguez. All the composition is depressed by a painting that represents Gloria.
Adress: Plaça de Santa Catalina Tomàs, 17, Pont d’Inca.
Located in the plaça de la plaça de na Tesa church square.
The works, directed by the architect Antoni Sureda, were carried out between 1858 and 1864. However, the temple was blessed in 1860, four years before the church was finished. Mr. Vicens Mates Frau was the honorable Mr. Marratxí, who promoted the construction of the temple, as well as being one of the people who contributed most to him. In 1889 the construction of the bell tower began, a mix of neogothic-classical style. Already in the s. XXI, on August 25, 1922, the second bell was blessed.
It has a single nave formed by eight side chapels with vault of tube, between which they emphasize the image of the Blood and the painting of Santa Filomena. Alongside, behind the apse, there is written the date 1859 and the Latin inscription “ex elemosinis contructa piorum”, which means “built with the alms of the godly.” The sculpture of Sant Llàtzer that presides over the temple is the work of the sculptor marratxiner Francesc Salvà.
Both elements and the composition of the façade belong to the 17th century native Baroque model. This main façade has two Doric decorative pilasters of giant order. The portal is cimated by a spring lintel supported on two braces and crowned by a cross. At the top there is a small austere rose window. The frontal ends with a fronton with a smooth eardrum. On the side façade there is a portal and two buttresses. On this facade, stands the bell tower, with a square base of six pyramidally detached heights. It is an austere facade of a single canvas, two side pilasters and an ending pediment. The main portal and the rose window are neo-baroque and the bell tower is neo-Gothic.
Adress: Plaça de l’Església, s/n, Pla de na Tesa.
Es Figueral is a small town with little more than a dozen streets in the municipality of Marratxí, which houses a few hundred inhabitants. It has a small chapel belonging to the Parish of Sant Marçal.
Direcció: Carrer del Marquès de Mondéjar, s/n, Es Figueral.